Friday, December 29, 2006

Redemption of a childhood tragedy

Have you ever had something from your childhood happen that just devastated you? Well, I’m sure we all have at one time or another. There was one Christmas that there was a toy I really wanted, I'm pretty sure it was Christmas but it could have been my birthday, it's been so long ago. Anyway, I ended up getting that toy and I was so happy, the only problem was that to play with it you needed two people, it just didn't work well with one person.
I can still remember the pain I felt having something that was so much fun and no one to play with me. Occasionally my dad would but that was about it.

I have told this story to my son several times and when I saw this toy once again in the stores, now sold as a "classic" toy, I of course rehashed the old pitiful story. Well, bless his heart, he got it for me this Christmas and with it he said, "Now you have someone to play it with". You have to know this brought tears to my eyes. To this day, for some odd reason, I still really like that toy.

So now you may better understand the title to this entry. Truly that painful time in my childhood has in a way been... Redeemed.

No comments: