Thursday, February 17, 2005

Medical Bloopers #3

I thought I'd go ahead and post another Medical blooper since I can't quite think of anything to blog about today. This should make you appreciate your own name. I've known people that would like to change their name, and some that have, but I think this individual has a good reason to, or at least change the spelling of the name.
This young woman brought her child to the Children's Hospital for a routine check-up. On the records, I saw that the child's first name was Urine (pronounced Urin-ie). I didn't want to be rude, but I had to know why a woman would name her child this, so I asked her how Urine got her name.
The woman sat down and related her story. "Well, my baby was born premature and had to stay in the special nursery. She was real sick and they didn't know if she would make it, but the nurses said they would pray for her. One day, I came in and the nurses had named her. There was a sign on her incubator that said, 'Please save Urine.' So I knew that they had named my baby Urine.
I cannot believe a mother would do this, she could have at least inquired to see if that is what they did or if the sign meant something else. It is too bad no one offered her a book on baby names. Now I know why they sell those books, to keep kids from the ultimate humiliation.

No comments: