Tuesday, March 1, 2005

FINE

Have you ever stopped to think about the word “fine”? Well I find that all too often when someone asks me how I am that I quite simply say “fine”. I may not even be feeling fine but that seems to be the automatic response that comes flying out of my mouth. It wasn’t too long ago I heard something said about that word. After reading this meaning maybe you will think twice before blurting it out when asked how you are doing.
FINE: Freaked Out, Insecure, Neurotic, Emotional
Now I know the word fine does not mean that you are freaked out, insecure, neurotic and emotional I was just having some fun. But really it did make me stop and think about how many times that happens to be my answer to “how are you doing?”

Even after seeing that and hearing it I still find myself saying I’m fine, but I have to admit it has not been said quite as often as before. I think when someone asks you how you are doing a person should at least give a real answer not a programmed one. I realize that there are times when I am going through something and may be feeling really bad and do not want to come across that way but I could at least say something like, "I am doing well under the circumstances", or "I'm glad things are as well with me as they are" or if I feel that the word fine is the most appropriate I could at least be sincere about it.

I just was thinking today about how many things I say automatically without sincerity behind it. I need to slow down and make my words mean something. Maybe let my words be spoken with my heart, not so much my head.

No comments: