Thursday, January 13, 2005

Medical Bloopers #2

Here is another Medical Blooper for you. I hope that you get a chuckle or two out of it.
I was cofounder of an international support group for people with primary biliary cirrhosis. The only therapy for this ailment is a liver transplant. One of our members went through the trauma and anxiety of the transplant and her recovery was difficult, but she made it and was looking forward to her first real meal. The hospital served the dinner in fancy presentation and she eagerly lifted the lid to find the entree was...liver!
Can you imagine? I can't stand liver at all and this would have really been too much for me. I cannot hardly believe someone would do this to a person. But I guess this is probably not unusual for a hospital, their reputation for food isn't that good anyway. I do have to say though that when I was in the hospital after giving birth, my husband and I were treated with a fabulous meal that had fillet mignon as the main dish. The whole meal was absolutely the best and we even got a bottle of Champagne. I don't drink champagne, even if I did that stuff is just way too bubbly for me.

I guess if you go in for a transplant it might be a good idea to make sure they don't feed you what you just had removed from your body. I'm wondering, did she eat what they served her, or did she send it back for something more appealing?

No comments: